Restoring Your Headlight Covers
Cloudy headlights are a common occurrence nowadays and the condition can affect your ability to see the roadway clearly at night. Most headlights come with a clear coat to help protect it against dulling and damage, but in time, the clear coat will fade away and leave the headlights vulnerable to damage from environmental and road conditions as you drive your Ford vehicle around St. Louis, Missouri.
How Your Headlight Covers Become Dull
There are a few reasons why the lenses on headlights wear down and become cloudy, including:
- Sunlight has an adverse effect on the plastic covering of headlights. The ultraviolet rays beaming down cause molecular changes in the plastic and it makes them turn cloudy and develop pock mocks as the plastic oxidizes.
- Debris on the road. Debris such as the salt used to keep the roads from icing up in the winter and gravel gets kicked up by the tires of the vehicles in front of you and smashes against the lenses. This will eventually break the clear coat down and expose the material underneath it to the ultraviolet rays of the sun.
- Moisture can get inside the headlights when the watertight seal fails and this will create a coating of condensation to form inside the lens.
- Chemicals and dirt will coat the outside of the lens and create a barrier that inhibits the ability of light to shine through it.
When the headlight lenses get dull, you need to have them professional cleaned by the technicians at Sunset Ford Body Shop.
Sunset Ford Body Shop Headlight Restoration Process
Sunset Ford knows how to restore headlights so you can see well again while driving at night. The technicians will:
- Remove the cover of oxidation that has formed over the lens by ultraviolet rays. This is typically done by sanding the layer of oxidation off of the lens.
- Scratches that create crevices where dirt and debris can settle and impede the light are removed by polishing the lens with an orbital buffer. A wax coating is then applied over the lens.
- The headlights will be resealed with a clear coat to close any openings.
- The watertight seal will also be restored.
Sunset Ford Body Shop is a family-run business that has been serving the St. Louis community for over five generations. It is an I-Car and Ford Aluminum Certified Collision Center.
We only use Ford OEM replacement parts in all of our work, and we service all major makes and models for all our services. We accept all major insurances and offer free estimates. If you need to be on the road while we work, we have also partnered with Enterprise Rent-A-Car to make sure you have a vehicle to use.
Monday – Friday
Saturday and Sunday